As most of the nation wades through a flurry of cold, gray days and afternoons spent shoveling the snow off the driveway, it’s easy to feel bogged down and develop a nasty case of cabin fever. While some may dream of trips to distant shores and warmer weather, the talented folks at Highlight Home Restoration suggest you also take advantage of this time to begin planning for a Spring remodel. Spend the next couple of months envisioning your ideal home, then start making steps to see that your dreams become a beautiful reality in time for Spring.
- Take Advantage of Cold Days Spent Indoors and DREAM BIG – Begin poring through home décor websites and magazines to see what looks really appeal to you, then start printing out pages and/or clipping pictures to start your very own “Dream Book”. Dream big and tackle all of the living spaces of your home – both inside and out. While you may not be able to complete all of these projects at once, you may be surprised to learn that some of them can be handled as simply as applying a fresh coat of paint, adding some new artwork, tossing in a few throw pillows for a touch of color, or updating your furniture with the latest looks – all items you could take care of on your own. As for the bigger jobs, such as finishing a basement, adding a sunroom or extending a deck – it’s best to leave those to a professional. Your Dream Book will serve as a great resource for them as well, so you can make sure everyone is on the same page with regard to YOUR vision.
- Make a List of Projects in Order of Importance – This is perhaps one of the most difficult steps. In a perfect world, you could place a #1 in front of each item on your project list. Unfortunately, given tougher restrictions to lending – you may be forced to pick and choose. Once you’ve put your list together – go back through and decide which items you and your family can complete yourselves and which will require the help of a qualified professional.
- Begin Researching Your Lending Options – In the event that you don’t have a secret stash under your mattress or a money tree growing in the backyard, chances are you will have to apply for a loan. To learn more about this increasingly vital step in the home renovation process, read our blog “Helpful Tips to Securing Financing in 2011 for Home Improvement Projects”.
- Begin Researching Home Improvement Specialists – If you are considering projects outside the realm of general home maintenance such as exterior painting or gutter cleaning, you may want to look beyond general contractors to someone who specializes in any or all of the aspects of your chosen home improvement project. By selecting a design/build firm (like Highlight Homes Restoration), you are able to cut out a step by involving a company who can not only build your project for you but can also design the project to fit your vision and specifications. To learn more about finding a specialist to spearhead your project, read our blog “Three Surefire Ways to Find a Qualified Professional Renovator for Your Home Improvement Project”.
- Set a Meeting and Establish a Calendar – Once you’ve whittled down your list of both projects to complete and professionals to complete them for you (both may be based on the figures your loan officer is able to come up with), set a meeting and establish a calendar for job start and completion. This is when the project begins to take shape and become real for you. Keep in mind that just about any home renovation project can be somewhat obtrusive, as subcontractors march in and out of your home on a daily basis until the project is complete –so try to select a time that is most convenient for you and your family, while working within the specialist’s calendar. Remember that weather will sometimes play a role, so be prepared to be a little flexible on the job completion date. Highlight Home Restoration is proud of our reputation for completing projects on time, on budget and above expectation. Once you have a date on your calendar, you will have so much to look forward to – essentially helping ease the pain of the coming weeks of Winter. Time it just right, and you and your family could be enjoying your new living space in time for a Spring unveiling!
Highlight Home Restoration welcomes the opportunity to aid you with your home renovation project. We are highly skilled designers and craftsmen who serve the Metro Atlanta area and surrounding region. We have a proven track record of excellence in building and remodeling everything from kitchens, bathrooms, basements, patios, decks, room additions and so much more. We invite you to learn more about us by visiting our website at www.highlighthomesga.com. When you’re ready to set a meeting to discuss your home improvement project, call us at 678.873.9234, e-mail us at email@example.com, or fill out our helpful online contact form. We look forward to adding a ray or two of sunshine to your Winter! Stay warm, Atlanta!!