Over the course of the past few weeks, the U.S. stock market has taken investors on a mind-numbing roller coaster ride. Pundits point to world-wide events such as the economic aftershocks still being felt from the Japanese earthquake in March 2011, the on-going European debt crises, and the recent downgrade in the United States’ credit rating by Standard and Poor from a AAA to a AA+ as a handful of the major causes for the stock market’s less-than-stellar performance. Regardless of the reasons, uncertainty reigns supreme and folks have begun circling their wagons. Faced with the fear of the unknown, more and more American families and businesses are sitting on their money – rather than spending it.
As a small business owner with a fairly tight grasp on the concept of Economics, this is a truly daunting scenario. No matter your feelings regarding the current administration and Congress’ handling of the nation’s economic state, as individuals – the ONE way we can help move toward recovery as individual consumers is to SPEND. And not just SPEND, but spend wisely. While some may deem a home remodel as a unnecessary indulgence, a house is often a family’s most important asset – making a home remodel a wise investment. To that end, I’ve compiled the following list of five great reasons to remodel despite the stock market’s sorry state:
- Economics 101: Whether you aced your Econ 101 course or failed it, most people can recall that Economics at its core is a cycle based upon two elements: supply and demand. If there is no demand on the part of consumers, it knocks the cycle completely out of whack. Companies are forced to cut back their supply levels, and eventually their work forces. With people out of work, that compounds the demand issue even further. Although it may not feel like it, YOU – as the consumer – are in the so-called “driver’s seat”. If we all begin spending again (wisely) – companies can begin increasing their supply levels and eventually begin growing their staffs, meaning less people in the unemployment lines and more people in the checkout lines at the local store. By hiring a renovation company like Highlight Homes, you wouldn’t just be beautifying your home – you would be putting money back into the economic cycle. You demand a kitchen remodel, we supply the kitchen of your dreams – it really is that simple.
- Support your Local Economy: Different parts of the country are faring better than others. While many states in the Midwest are keeping their heads well above water, parts of the West Coast are in major need of life preservers. In order to keep our heads above water, it is vital that we support our local economies. By hiring a service company like Highlight Homes to complete a home improvement job, it has a resonating effect. I will in turn be able to use those funds from your job to pay my talented staff to complete the work necessary, hire an additional staff of skilled subcontractors, and purchase the supplies required to achieve your home’s transformation from local vendors and suppliers. Together, we will not only be working toward your home’s renovation – we will also be joining forces to support our local economy.
- Don’t Use the Stock Market as Your Guide: It’s a false idol! While it can give certain key indicators to economists – if you listen closely, not even the most skilled economic experts can always agree on what those indicators, well… indicate. For folks who base financial decisions on things like the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) from one day to the next, it’s no wonder we’re in the mess we’re in. Just take a peek at the index on nearly any given day lately and you’ll see a colorful trail of peaks and valleys from the opening bell to the market’s close. Invest in something solid – your family’s home. Because the housing market in Georgia remains somewhat bleak, more and more people are making the decision to stay put. Take this time to renovate your home into something you can love for years to come, that fits your family’s needs, and will increase your market value once the housing market comes back online.
- Make Wise Investments: On the subject of investing in your house with a home remodel, you need to make sure it’s a WISE investment. While you may have always wanted lime green flooring with countertops to match in your kitchen, chances are – when it comes time to sell – potential buyers may be put off by that particular color selection. It’s always a good idea to keep the concept of trends to items that can be easily changed – such as accessories and wall paint – and utilize classic, timeless elements at the core of every home improvement project. According to Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value Report 2010-2011 for the Atlanta area, the projects that often provide the greatest return on investment include entry door replacements, garage door replacements, window replacements, deck additions, basement remodels, attic bedroom conversions, kitchen remodels, and siding replacements.
- Be an Agent for Change: We can’t just expect change to happen. The economy stinks – on that we all agree, but Albert Einstein has been credited with defining insanity as the belief in doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. We can sit idly by, waiting for the folks in Washington to duke things out, or we can go about the business of jump-starting the economy in all of the ways outlined above. Don’t worry about dividing things neatly into a column of wants vs. needs. We NEED to get the economy going again. By being an agent for change within your own home, you could actually be an agent for change on a local, regional and national level.
Among one of the most important reasons for a home remodel that did not make the list is the joy it can bring to your family. I have been so honored and touched by the reactions of the families I serve once their home remodels are complete. Smiles, hugs, and tears of happiness are always in large supply. Changes to your house can dramatically increase your family’s enjoyment of some of the most commonly used areas of your home OR even portions of the home that you rarely used before. If you’re ready to do your part to kick-start the economy by supporting a local small business while augmenting the beauty and value of your home, contact me and my team at Highlight Homes TODAY! We can be reached by calling 678.873.9234, by e-mailing email@example.com, or by filling out our convenient online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
To learn more about Highlight Homes and all of the ways we can help you, visit us online at www.highlighthomesga.com.Sources:
Remodeling Magazine – “Cost vs. Value Report 2010-2011: Atlanta, GA” – http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2010/costvsvalue/division/south-atlantic/city/atlanta–ga.aspx (August 14, 2011)
NPR – “The Economy Where You Live” – http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111494514 (August 14, 2011)