Get The Lead Out!

42-17182482What Homeowners Need To Know About the Dangers of Lead Paint

Well-known for its durability, moisture resistance, and ability to enhance colors – lead was a common ingredient in house and furniture paint up until the late 1960’s and ’70’s. Once it was discovered that this particular element was extremely hazardous to people, especially children, the Consumer Product Safety Commission banned it from use in residences, household furniture, and children’s toys manufactured in the U.S. Unfortunately, lead still poses a health risk to countless Americans. Homes constructed before 1978 most likely contain lead-based paint. Peeling paint may indicate a risk that lead particles are in the air. Infants and small children may eat paint chips and breathe the lead particles into their lungs. Sadly, exposure over time can lead to serious illness, even death.

Signs of Possible Lead Poisoning:

  • Abdominal pain and cramping
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Anemia
  • Constipation
  • Difficulty Sleeping
  • Headaches
  • Irritability
  • Loss of previous developmental skills (in young children)
  • Low appetite and energy
  • Reduced sensations
  • Very HIGH doses may lead to vomiting, staggering, muscle weakness, seizures or coma

Why not just strip away all of the old paint and start fresh with a new coat of paint? Unfortunately, your family is at greatest risk when lead-based paint is stripped or sanded. Both of these actions release fine lead dust into the air you breathe. If you live in a home that was built before the late 1970’s, it is of utmost importance that you consult a professional regarding any renovations to your home. “Do it Yourself” is simply not an option when your family’s well-being is at stake.

On April 22, 2010 – a Federal mandate regarding lead paint containment will go into effect and Highlight Homes of Atlanta will be prepared. As of this Spring, all general contractors who work on homes built before 1978 must be Lead Based Paint Containment Certified. If a contractor is caught performing work on an older home without this certification, they will face a fine of $32,500 A DAY. Before the mandate even goes into effect, Highlight Homes and Highlight Home Restoration will be a Certified Lead Containment Firm and Renovator in order to meet mandate guidelines and those set by the Environmental Protection Division of the Department of Natural Resources (EPD) and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Highlight Homes welcomes the opportunity to help YOU “get the lead out.” We can not only aid in paint removal and renewal, but we can also help with all of your renovation needs from bathroom and kitchen remodels to basement finishing and general repair. To learn more or to schedule an appointment to discuss your needs and receive a quote, please call us at 678-873-9234 or e-mail us at

Source: “Lead Poisoning.” Medline Plus.

Get The Lead Out!