Highlight Home Restoration’s Guide To Changing the Look of the Heart of YOUR Home
Highlight Home Restoration, the design-build renovation division of Highlight Homes, recently completed a major overhaul project in Newnan, Georgia that involved revamping a 1970’s Galley Kitchen to something more open, fresh and exciting. The homeowners were so excited by the completely new look of their home’s interior that we wish to share a little bit about what we learned along the way.
1) Au Natural – Perhaps the fastest growing trend in our eco-friendly world is a major leaning toward the use of natural materials in both construction and design. Wood cabinetry, stone tiles, and granite countertops paired with real plants vs. artificial add to a warm and earthy feel to any kitchen environment.
2) Goodbye Linoleum, Hello Hardwood – The hottest trend in kitchen flooring is hardwood – it’s ageless, classic, and works in virtually every type of home and kitchen. PLUS, spills are a breeze to clean up!
3) Don’t Forget To Leave a Light On – Recessed Lights serve a great general purpose by lighting the room without distracting from the overall design, while a perfectly paired chandelier or handful of pendant lights can create an awesome focal point and enhance the room’s design.
4) Sometimes You Just Need a Facelift – If your cabinets are still in great shape (and aren’t a shade of ’70’s avocado green), you may be able to get away with just a facelift there. You can either reface your cabinets by adding new doors or just add new fixturing (handles and drawer pulls) to update the look of your kitchen.
5) Love Those Wide Open Spaces – More and more homeowners seem to prefer wide open floor plans to a cozy little breakfast nook. A contractor with a focus on structural engineering can often find potential where you may not have thought to look – simply removing a wall can open up a whole new world of possibilities for your home’s layout.
6) Make a Splash – A sometimes over-looked addition that can add an air of sophistication and depth to your kitchen is a tile backsplash. From a neutral combination to a colorful mosaic, a tile backsplash can bring character and enhance the decor of any kitchen design.
7)Don’t Take Your Countertops For Granite – Arguably the most popular choice for countertops these days, granite can also be one of the most expensive options. Either plan accordingly when establishing your budget, or make careful consideration of your options. Solid surface countertops, tile countertops, wood countertops and concrete countertops are all viable options at varying price points.
8) It’s a Steel! – Still wildly popular, stainless steel appliances have become increasingly more affordable. They can add an element of commercial kitchen atmosphere to make one feel like a true chef.
9) Color My World – It’s true what they say – the kitchen IS the heart of the home. Whether you are an aspiring gourmet chef or a master of the microwave, kitchens are also gathering places – the parlors of the 21st century. You better make sure you LOVE the color scheme. Neutral palettes continue to reign supreme, but you can add a splash of color with your accessories, glasses and plates. Warm colors like bold golds, oranges and reds are also rapidly gaining favor.
10) Get Organized – A growing number of homeowners are requesting built-in elements to aid them in the never-ending quest to get organized. A well-place office nook, a custom-built pantry or an island with built-in wine rack may be all you need to put more order in your life.
11) BONUS – Let’s Take This Outside!!! – Perhaps the HOTTEST trend in kitchens in recent years is the addition of an outdoor kitchen to your backyard oasis. A built-in grill with counterspace, wetsink, storage area and fridge could dramatically increase the number of backyard barbecues hosted by YOU!
While some elements of a kitchen makeover can be tackled by the homeowners themselves, some things are still better left to professionals – i.e. knocking out walls, handling electrical wiring. If you are considering a kitchen remodel, we encourage you to contact Highlight Home Restoration. Not only can we design the project according to your specifications, we can suggest additional changes that will add value to your home, acquire the necessary permits, and build your new kitchen on schedule and within budget. When you’re ready to get started on the exciting design phase of your kitchen remodel, call us at 678.873.9234, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out our online contact form.